red french bread pizza
- Red French Bread Pizza
- Serves 6
- Tags: snacks sides appetizers dinner lunch cheese rice, grains and breads vegetables roast Yum-o! Family-Friendly pizza Submitted by
- Rachael Ray
- Yum-o! Family-Friendly
- on 02/06/08AdvertisementIngredients
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 1 head garlic, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pints grape tomatoes
- 1 loaf crusty French bread, split in half lengthwise
- 2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese
- 2 cups Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup Italian parsley (about a handful), chopped
PreparationPre-heat the oven to 400ºF.
Cut the tip off the head of garlic. Place it in the middle of a piece of foil, then drizzle it with one tablespoon of EVOO and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Fold the foil up around it, then transfer it to the oven and roast for 40-45 minutes, until the cloves are tender.
After the garlic has been roasting for 20 minutes, place the tomatoes onto a baking sheet and toss them in the remaining 2 tablespoons of EVOO. Season them with salt and freshly ground black pepper and roast them until they’ve softened and burst open, about 10-15 minutes.
Transfer the roasted tomatoes to a medium size mixing bowl and let them cool slightly. When the garlic has finished roasting, squeeze the softened cloves into the bowl of tomatoes and mash them together.
Once the tomatoes come out of the oven, place the French bread halves onto a baking sheet and toast them in the oven until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
Spread the tomato-roasted garlic mixture over both halves and sprinkle the cheeses evenly over both of them. Place the bread back into the oven to melt the cheese, 3-4 minutes.
Serve immediately, garnished with chopped parsley.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.