Quinoa Pilaf in lettuce
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa, picked and rinsed well (the red kind is prettier, but either the red or the white is fine)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried cherries
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 grapefruit, zested, plus 2 tablespoons juice
- 1 head Boston lettuce, leaves separated
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 25mins
Adapted from foodnetwork.com
Bring the water and quinoa to a boil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until quinoa is cooked and curly white germ shows, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. When the oil is shimmering, add the onion and spices, and saute until the onion has softened and the spices are very fragrant.
Stir in the pine nuts and fruit and saute for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the cooked quinoa (all the water should have been absorbed) to the skillet. Stir in the grapefruit zest and grapefruit juice. Taste, and season with salt, pepper, to taste. Allow to sit off the heat for 10 minutes so the flavors seep into the quinoa.
Serve in lettuce cups.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (379 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken ‘n Spinach... 4.5/5 (217 Votes)
- Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups 4.6/5 (148 Votes)