Great layered brunch dish. Very pretty when sliced. And can be made the day before.
- 2 lbs. fresh spinach washed
- 1 c. part-skim, ricotta cheese
- 1/8 t. ground nutmeg
- 4 eggs.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 t. leaf basil, crumbled
- 2 t. margarine
- 1 T. cornmeal
- 1 loaf frozen bread dough, thawed overnight in fridge
- 8 oz. mozzarella cheese, shredded (2 c.)
- 1/2 grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 large sweet red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and sliced
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 90mins
1. Cook spinach with just enough water clinging to leaves, in covered saucepan over high heat, until wilted, about 2 min. Drain well, squeeze dry. Chop.
2. Combine spinach, ricotta, nutmeg and 1 egg in a medium bowl.
3. Lightly beat remaining 3 eggs, whites, basil in small bowl. Heat butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add egg mixture; scramble.
4. Preheat oven to 350. Grease bottom and side of springform pan. Sprinkle pan with cornmeal.
5. Roll dough in 16" circle; let dough rest between rolls. Line greased pan with dough; let dough edge hang over pan.
6. Layer 1/2 c. mozzarella, half the spinach mixture; 1/4c. mozzarella, 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, half the pepper strips and 1/4 c. mozzarella cheese in dough. Top with egg mixture. Repeat layering with remaining ingredients, making sure dough remains against side of pan. Fold and roll dough edge to form rim.
7. Bake at 350 for an hour. Let stand 15 min. after cooking. Unmold and cut into wedges.