Chicken or Eggplant Parmesan
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino romano or parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup veg oil
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 1 lb chicken cutlets, 1/8 inch thick
- Marinara sauce
- 1.5 cups grated mozzarella cheese (5 oz)
- 1/2 cup pecorino romano or parmesan cheese (1 oz)
Bread and fry:
Combine breadcrumbs, cheese, pinch salt and pepper. Put flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in 3 separate shallow dishes. Dredge eggplant or chicken in flour, shaking off excess. Dip in egg, then in breadcrumbs to coat. Let stand 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a large, straight sided skillet over medium. Working in batches, fry until golden. 3-4 minutes per side for chicken, 2 minutes per side for eggplant. Transfer toa paper towel lined baking sheet.
Preheat oven to 375. Spread 3/4 cup marinara sauce in the bottom of a 9 by 13 inch baking dish. Arrange a single layer of chicken or eggplant on top. Top with 1 cup sauce, covering each piece. Sprinkle with mozzarella and pecorino. Cover with foil. Bake until bubbling, 10 minutes. Uncover, bake until cheese melts, 2 more minutes.