Caramelized Onion Scalloped Potatoes
Paula Deen Magazine (Jan/Feb 2013)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds sweet onions, sliced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (12-ounce) can low-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 5 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
- 1/2 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese*
- Garnish: fresh thyme
Adapted from pauladeenmagazine.com
1.Preheat oven to 350º. Spray a 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
2.In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until golden brown. (Monitor the onions closely during the end of the cooking time because they can burn easily.)
3.In a small bowl, whisk flour into ½ cup evaporated milk. In a medium saucepan, combine remaining milk, chicken broth, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour mixture; reduce heat to medium, and cook, whisking constantly, for 5 minutes or until thick. Stir in thyme leaves.
4.Arrange one-fourth of potato slices in the bottom of the baking dish. Spread one-fourth milk mixture over potatoes. Sprinkle one-fourth onions over sauce. Repeat layers 3 more times. Sprinkle cheese on top of potatoes before baking. Cover with aluminum foil.
5.Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 45 minutes longer or until casserole is bubbly and potatoes are tender. Garnish with thyme, if desired.
You'll also love
- Mouy's banana coconut custard 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- CPK Roasted Garlic Pizza 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Greek Steak Pita with Tzatziki... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- White Fish In Herbed Butter 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Soup- Lobster, Shrimp and Corn... 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Stuffed Baby Red Potatoes Recipe 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Baked Shrimp in Tomato Feta Sauce 4.6/5 (14 Votes)
- Tomato Sauce with Onion and Butter 4.6/5 (14 Votes)