Mini Cheeseburger Salad with Yellow Mustard Vinaigrette
- Mini Cheeseburger Salad with Yellow Mustard Vinaigrette
- Serves 4-6
- Tags: salads dinner lunch burgers cheese poultry vegetables barbecue or grill Yum-o! Family-Friendly Submitted by
- Rachael Ray
- Yum-o! Family-Friendly
- on 10/16/08Who needs the bun when you can have your favorite cheeseburger this way?! The tangy mustard dressing hits the spot.
- Pickling is a cooking technique that keeps food edible longer, but the side benefit is the great taste that comes when the vegetable or fruit soaks in a brine of vinegar, sugar, salt, herbs and spices. –RR
- Advertisement Ingredients
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 small red onion, grated and chopped, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon grill seasoning (a palmful)
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning (a palmful)
- 3/4 pound brick sharp cheddar cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick into small squares
- 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 large hearts of romaine lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sliced pickles, drained and chopped – choose from sweet, half-sour or dill varieties
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half
PreparationPlace a large skillet over medium-high heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. (You can also pre-heat a grill pan or a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat or pre-heat an outdoor grill instead of the skillet).
While the pan is heating up, combine the meat with about 3 tablespoons of the grated red onion, the Worcestershire sauce and the grill and poultry seasonings (you may substitute salt and pepper for the grill and poultry seasonings). Form two-inch meatballs, then flatten them into patties. Wash your hands after handling the raw poultry.
Cook the mini burgers for 3 minutes on each side, then top with cheese. Tent the mini cheeseburgers loosely with foil to help the cheese melt.
While the burgers are cooking, whisk together the mustard and cider vinegar in a large salad bowl. Continue whisking and stream in the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO and season with salt and pepper.
Finely chop up the remaining red onion and add it to the bowl along with the romaine, pickles and tomatoes. Toss the salad to evenly coat everything in dressing.
To serve, arrange the salad on a large platter and slide the mini burgers on top.
This is one of many "Yum-o!" recipes – it's good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael's nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.