This is a quick, yet tasty, bolognese recipe that moms will love for it's easiness and the family will love for the taste. Perfect for weeknights.
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. lean ground sirloin (or ground turkey)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/4 cups dry red wine, divided
- 1 (28 oz.) can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 lb. dried pasta, such as shells
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground meat into the pan. Cook until no longer pink and starting to brown, 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic, oregano and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup of the wine to the pan and stir, scraping any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large pot of salted water according to the package directions.
While the pasta is cooking, finish the sauce. Stir in the nutmeg, basil, cream, and remaining ¼ cup wine. Simmer for 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally until thickened. When the pasta is cooked and drained, toss with the warm sauce and grated Parmesan until well coated. Serve with additional Parmesan if desired.