CHINESE BARBECUE RIBS WP24 AT THE RITZ-CARLTON LOS ANGELES
- For the ribs
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- One 6-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 4 pieces
- 1 medium carrot, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 stalks celery, diced (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 racks baby back pork ribs, about 4 pounds total (racks cut in half if using a Dutch oven)
- For the glaze
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped peeled fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup sliced scallions
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sambal oelek chile paste
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. In a large Dutch oven or roasting pan, combine the chicken stock, soy sauce, garlic, ginger, carrot, onion and celery and bring to a boil over high heat. Remove from the heat and nestle the ribs in the braising liquid.
2. Cover the Dutch oven (or cover the roasting pan tightly with foil) and bake until the meaty part of the ribs are tender when pierced with a paring knife, about 90 minutes.
3. While the ribs cook, prepare the glaze: Heat the oil in a medium saucepan. Add the garlic, ginger and scallions and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 4 minutes. Add the soy sauce, hoisin, corn syrup, ketchup, five-spice powder and chile paste; increase the heat the high and bring to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the mixture has thickened slightly, about 20 to 25 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve and reserve.
4. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a wire rack on the baking sheet. Remove the ribs from the braising liquid and place them, meaty side up, on the rack. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°. Brush a thick coating of glaze on the top of the ribs. Bake for 45 minutes, brushing the ribs with additional glaze every 15 minutes. Transfer the ribs to a cutting board, let rest for 5 minutes, then cut into one- or two-rib portions and serve immediately.