Chocolate Banana Walnut Muffins
- For the muffins:
- 3 large overripe bananas (or 4 small)
- 1 tsp. cinnnamon
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp. ground flax + 3 tbsp. water - let sit for 10 min)
- 1/4 + 1/8 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tsp. vanilla essence
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt (omit for healthier version)
- 3/4 cup oat flour
- 3/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- For the chocolate frosting (optional):
- 1/2 cup date paste
- 1/4 cup creamy raw almond butter
- 3 tbsp. raw cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened plant-based milk
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from gluten-free-vegan-girl.com
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mash bananas very well, then add cinnamon and flax egg. Whisk until combined.
2. Add vanilla and applesauce to banana mixture and whisk together. Combine dry ingredients and add to wet mixture. Whisk until well-combined, then add in walnuts.
3. Line a muffin tin with muffin cups. Fill each 3/4 full. (Yields 11 or 12 muffins). Bake for 25 min. Remove from oven and place muffins onto cooling rack.
4. Once the muffins have cooled down, decorate them with chocolate frosting, if desired. (For frosting, combine all ingredients except milk in a bowl and whisk together until smooth. Add in milk, if necessary, for slightly thinner consistency).