Mother's Dinner rolls
- "These tender rolls will melt in your mouth. Mom would set out her big square-footed honey bowl with them - some sweet butter and a drizzle of honey on these rolls is a special treat. -Willa Govoro, St. Clair, Missouri"
- 2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110 degrees to 115
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup shortening3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 7 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
Adapted from allrecipes.com
1.In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine boiling water, shortening, sugar and salt. Allow to stand 3 to 4 minutes or until shortening is melted and sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast mixture and eggs; mix well. Add 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (do not knead). Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Turn dough onto a floured surface. Pinch off a piece and form a 2-1/2-in. ball. Roll into a 5-in. rope; shape into a knot. Repeat with remaining dough. Place on a greased baking sheet. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.