Light Strawberry Ice Cream
A good light strawberry ice cream
- 3 1/2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1/2 cup splenda
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, pureed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Heat milk in a heavy saucepan over medium heat to 180° or until tiny bubbles form around edge (do not boil).
2. Combine sugar and egg yolks in a bowl. Beat with a mixer at high speed until thick and pale. Gradually add half of hot milk to the egg yolk mixture, stirring constantly. Return milk mixture to pan. Cook over medium-low heat 6 minutes or until a thermometer registers 160°, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl; cool completely, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in pureed strawberries and vanilla. Pour mixture into the freezer can of an ice-cream freezer; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Spoon ice cream into a freezer-safe container; cover and freeze 1 hour or until firm.