Caramelized Onion Dip
- 2 large onions, sliced thinly
- 1 Tbsp. butter, unsalted
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt (more to taste, if needed)
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder (optional)
1. In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil over low heat. Add sliced onions and salt. Cook onions, stirring often, over low heat for approximately 45 minutes, or until the onions are tender and brown. The browning signifies that the sugars in the onions are caramelizing. Be careful not to cook the onions too long, as they will become too dark and will taste bitter. Remove from heat and cool.
2. Puree cooled onions in a food processor. Add sour cream, mayonnaise, and black pepper and pulse until all ingredients are blended. Taste the dip and, if more onion flavor is desired, add the onion powder. The dip can be served right away or chilled in a container with an air tight lid for up to two weeks, but it probably won’t last that long!