Honey Mustard Onion Rings
4 points, 12 rings
- 1 large onion
- 1/2 cup Fiber One Original bran cereal
- 2 1/2 tbsp. yellow cornmeal
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- Dash black pepper
- 1/4 cup light honey mustard dressing)
- 2 tbsp. fat-free liquid egg substitute (like Egg Beaters Original)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Prepare 2 baking sheets (or 1 extra-large sheet) by spraying with nonstick spray; set aside.
2. Slice the ends off the onion and remove its outer layer. Cut onion into 1/2-inch-wide slices, and separate into about 24 rings. Set aside.
3. Using a blender or food processor, grind cereal to a breadcrumb-like consistency. Remove the blender or processor from the base, and add cornmeal and spices. Cover and shake to mix. Transfer contents to a plate and set aside.
4. Combine dressing with egg substitute in a small bowl and mix well. One at a time, dunk each ring in dressing mixture, give it a shake to remove any excess, and then coat it in the seasoned crumbs. Evenly place rings on the baking sheet(s).
5. Bake in the oven until crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, 20 - 25 minutes, carefully flipping rings over about halfway through.
If you like, serve with some extra dressing for dipping. (Just don't forget about the extra calories, if you're counting!)