- 4-1/2 to 5 cups all purpose flour
- 2 pkg active dry yeast
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/4 cup finely shredded parmesan cheese
1. In a large mixing bowl combine 1 3/4 cups of the flour and the yeast; set aside. In a medium saucpan heat and stir milk, water, butter, sugar, and salt just until warm and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to flour mixture; add egg. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed for 30 seconds, scraping side of the bowl constantly. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes. Stir in pesto. Using a wooden spoon, stir in as much of the remaining flour as you can.
2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead in enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is elastic and smooth (6-8 minutes total). Shape dough into a ball. Place in a greased large bowl, turning once to grease surface of the dough. Cover with plastic wrap. Chill for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.
3. Punch dough down. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover; let rest for 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease eighteen 2 1/2 inch muffin cups. Set aside.
4. Divide each half of the dough into 9 equal portions. Divide each portion into 3 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball, pulling edges under to make a smooth top. Place 3 balls in each muffin cup, smooth sid up. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover and let rise in a warm place about 30 mnutes. Preheat oven to 375.
5. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until rolls are golden brown. Immediately remove rolls from pans. Serve warm or cool on wire racks. Makes 18 rolls.