Homemade Turkey Soup
a great leftover for turkey
- Carcass from cooked 10 to 12lb turkey
- 3 quarts water (12 cups)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp poultry seasoning or dried sage leaves
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1/2 cup uncooked pearl barley
- 3 medium carrots, sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 2 medium celery stalks (1 cup) sliced
- 3 cups cut up cooked turkey
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, if desired
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 32mins
Break up turkey carcass to fit 6-quart dutch oven. Add water, salt, pepper, poultry seasoning or sage, and bay leaf. Heat to boiling over high heat; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 1 hour 30 minutes.
Skim off any residue that rises to the surface. Remove bones, meat and bay leaf from broth.; cool. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones and cut into bit-sized pieces; set aside. Discard bones and bay leaf.
Skim fat from broth; discard. Add turkey meat cut from bones to broth; stir in barley. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Cover; simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in carrots, onion, celery and 3 cups cooked turkey. Simmer uncovered 20 to 25 minutes longer. Stirring occasionally, until vegetables and barley are tender. Stir in parsley.