The BEST Homemade Canned Tomato Sauce
- 26 - 30 lbs tomatoes (preferably Roma or similar "paste" tomato)
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup red wine
- 1/3 cup dried herbs (whatever you like - I used - 2 tsp. rosemary, 2 tsp. sage, 2 tbsp oregano, 2 tbsp basil)
- 6 to 7 large garlics smashed
- 4 - 6 large bay leaves
- Salt to taste (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 cup lemon juice (Real Lemon)
Wash and cut the tomatoes (1/2 or 1/4) and put in large stockpot
Add the ingredients and mix with wooden spoon.
Then, using a potato masher, mash the tomatoes a bit to help break apart the pieces and allow the flavors to develop. Bring the stockpot to a boil and then reduce to a simmer, cooking for at least 2 hours until nice and deep red color with some of the liquid reduced.
Once ready, remove the bay leaves run through a food mill using the largest disk. This will remove the skins but leave a nice thick sauce.
Fill sterilized pint or quart jars,leaving 1/4 inch head space. Seal and process in water bath for 30 minutes.