Steak & Potato Kebabs with Creamy Cilantro Sauce for Two
Steak kebabs get a Southwestern spin with poblano peppers and a creamy sauce spiked with cilantro, chile powder, cumin and vinegar. The potatoes are partially cooked in the microwave before putting them on the grill so they're done at the same time as faster-cooking steak, peppers and onions. Serve with: Green salad and Spanish rice.
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, minced, packed
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 small clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 new or baby red potatoes
- 10 ounces strip steak, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 poblano pepper, or 1/2 large green bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large sweet onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
Adapted from recipe.com
Combine cilantro, vinegar, sour cream, garlic, chile powder, cumin and 1/8 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
Preheat grill to high.
Place potatoes in a microwave-safe container. Cover and microwave on High until just tender when pierced with a fork, 3 to 3 1/2 minutes.
Toss the potatoes, steak and pepper pieces with oil and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt in a large bowl. Thread the potatoes, steak, peppers and onion chunks onto 4 skewers. Grill, turning once or twice, until the steak reaches desired doneness, about 6 minutes for medium. Serve the kebabs with the reserved sauce.