Strawberry-Filled Brownie Bites
- butter-flavored cooking spray
- 2 tbsp whole grain oat flour
- 2 tbsp whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetwned cocoa powder
- 1 tsp instant espresso powder
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup 100% fruit strawberry spread
1. Preheat the oven to 350 deg. Thoroughly mist two 12 cup nonstick mini-muffin tins with cooking spray.
2. Add the flours to the bowl of a mini-food processor fitted with a chopping blade and process for 2 min. Add the flours, cocoa powder, espresso powder, baking powder and salt to a sifter and sift them into a small mixing bowl.
3. In a large mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk or spatula, mix the egg whites, sugar, applesauce, canola oil and vanilla until well combined. Add the flour mixture and stir until just combined and no lumps remain (be careful not to overmix). Divide the batter among the 24 muffiin cups, filling each about two-thirds full (about 1 tbsp per cup, do not overfill them or the brownies will spill out of the pan). Carefully drop 1 tsp of fruit spread directly in the center of each brownie (do not push the fruit spread down into the brownies).
4. Bake for 10-12 min., or until a toothpick inserted as close to the center as possible, without touching the fruit spread, comes out dry. Transfer the pan to a cooling rack and allow them to cool for 5 min. Using a butter knife, gently lift the brownies from the muffin tins (if they stick, gently run the knife around the edge of each cup). Allow them to cool for another 10 min.