Indian Fish Coconut Curry Recipe
- 1 pound boneless, skinless fish fillets
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 onion, grated on large holes of box grater
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 fully ripe tomato, diced or 1 1/2 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder (cayenne)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 fresh chili peppers, cut in half lengthwise
1. Wash the fish and pat very dry. Cut the fish into 2-inch pieces.
2. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat and swirl in the oil. When the oil is heated, add the onion, ginger and garlic. Turn the heat to medium-low and let the aromatics cook slowly. Saute until very fragrant, about 5 minutes. Take care not to let it burn!
3. Add the tomato and saute for another 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Use your spatula and smash the tomatoes a bit, to break them up.
4. Add the garam masala, chili powder, salt and pepper. Stir to combine and cook for 2 minutes. This is the masala (spice base).
5. Turn the heat to medium-high. Pour in the coconut milk and the water. When the mixture comes to a good boil, add in the fish and cook for 4 minutes or so, until the fish is cooked through.