Glazed Chocolate-Pumpkin Bundt Cake
Per serving: 234 calories; 5 g fat ( 1 g sat , 3 g mono ); 13 mg cholesterol; 46 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 159 mg potassium.
- 1cup1 cup all-purpose, flour
- 3/4cup3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1cup1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4cup3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, (not Dutch-process)
- 1 1/2teaspoons1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2teaspoons1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1teaspoon1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4teaspoon1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1cup1 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 115-ounce can1 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 3/4cup3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1large1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1large1 large egg white, at room temperature
- 1/4cup1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4cup1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Glaze & Garnish:
- 1/2cup1/2 cup packed confectioners' sugar
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon nonfat buttermilk
- 2tablespoons2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips, or toasted chopped nuts (see Tip)
Adapted from eatingwell.com
1. To prepare cake: Preheat oven to 350°F. Coat a 12-cup Bundt pan with cooking spray.
2. Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, granulated sugar, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt in a medium bowl.
3. Blend 1 cup buttermilk, pumpkin puree and brown sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer on low speed. Beat in whole egg and egg white. Stir in oil, corn syrup and vanilla. Gradually add the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
4. Bake the cake until a wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached, 1 to 1 1/4 hours. Let cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from the pan and let cool completely on the rack, about 2 hours.
5. To glaze & garnish cake: Combine confectioners' sugar and 1 tablespoon buttermilk in a small bowl, stirring until completely smooth. Place the cake on a serving plate and drizzle the glaze over the top; garnish with chocolate chips (or chopped nuts) while the glaze is still moist.
Tips & Notes:
Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4 up to 1 day ahead. Glaze and garnish (Step 5) shortly before serving. Equipment: 12-cup Bundt pan
Tips: To warm an egg to room temperature, either set it out on the counter for 15 minutes or submerge it (in the shell) in a bowl of lukewarm (not hot) water for 5 minutes.
To toast chopped nuts & seeds: Cook in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until fragrant and lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes.