Quick Shrimp Chowder
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans cream of potato soup, undiluted (I like to use one can of cream of shrimp soup and one can of potato soup)
- 3 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds medium-size fresh shrimp, peeled*
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Garnish: chopped fresh parsley
- Oyster crackers (optional)
Adapted from myrecipes.com
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, and sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Stir in cream of potato soup, milk, and pepper; bring to a boil. Add shrimp; reduce heat, and simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink. Stir in cheese until melted. Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately. Serve with oyster crackers, if desired.
*1 1/2 pounds frozen shrimp, thawed; 1 1/2 pounds peeled crawfish tails; or 3 cups chopped cooked chicken may be substituted.