- 4 cups Whole Milk
- 2 sticks 1 Cup Butter
- 1 cup Sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast
- 8 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon (heaping) Baking Powder
- 1 teaspoon (scant) Baking Soda
- 1 Tablespoon (heaping) Salt
- 1 cup (additional) All-purpose Flour
- 2 sticks Melted Butter (additional)
-Combine 4 cups milk, 2 sticks butter, and sugar in a large pot.
-Bring to a simmer, and when the mixture is hot (but not boiling) turn off heat and allow to cool to warmer than lukewarm, about 30 to 45 minutes.
-Sprinkle in the yeast and 8 cups of flour. Stir to combine, then cover and allow to rise for 1 hour.
-After 1 hour, add baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 additional cup of flour. Stir to combine.
- Divide dough in half, then turn out onto floured surface. -Knead dough for 8 to 10 minutes, then form into a ball and cover with a towel and allow to rise in a warm place. for 30 to 45 minutes. (Repeat with other half of dough, or store it for a later use.)
-Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
-Melt 2 sticks of butter in a saucepan.
-Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick.
-Cut circles with a 2 1/2 inch cutter. Dunk each circle in melted butter, then immediately fold in half and place on a cookie sheet, flat side down.
-Press lightly to encourage sealing. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
-Cover with a towel and allow rolls to rise 30 to 45 minutes.
-Bake for 15 minutes.
-Remove and serve immediately!