Ww Hearty Stuffed Bell Peppers
- 1/2 cup uncooked white rice
- 4 medium bell peppers, any color
- 10 ounces extra lean ground beef (7% or less fat)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups 100% vegetable juice (e.g. V8)
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
1 Cook the rice according to package directions, omitting the butter or vegetable oil. Cool 10 minutes.
2 Meanwhile, with a sharp knife, slice off the top of each bell pepper and remove the seeds. Set aside. Remove and discard stems and chop remaining pepper tops.
3 Combine the cooked rice, the ground beef, onion, chopped pepper, garlic, 1/4 cup of the vegetable juice, the Parmesan, and spices in a medium bowl. Spoon the rice mixture, dividing it evenly, into the bell peppers.
4 Place the bell peppers in a deep 3-quart sauce pan; pour the remaining 1 1/4 cups vegetable juice around the bell peppers.
5 Set pan over medium high heat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to simmer and cover.
6 Simmer until peppers are tender and beef is cooked through, 20 - 30 minutes.
7 Place each bell pepper in a serving bowl and serve with the sauce.