Oven Baked French Toast with Mixed Berry Sauce
- FRENCH TOAST:
- 1 (16-20 oz) loaf sliced white bread, ends discarded
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 6 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups low fat milk
- BERRY SAUCE:
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 3 cups fresh or frozen mixed berries
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp salt
1. Prepare the French Toast. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Lightly coat a 9x13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange enough whole bread slices in a single layer to cover the bottom of the dish. Cut the remaining slices in half on the diagonal and arrange them in overlapping rows on top. You should have 3 rows of bread triangle. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and nutmeg. whisk in the eggs and vanilla until well blended. Gradually whisk in the milk.
3. Slowly and evenly pour the egg mixture over the bread slices and let soak for 5 minutes. Use a fork or spatula to gently press down on the bread to ensure it is evenly soaked. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the French toast is puffed.
4. While the French toast bakes, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl, combine the lemon juice and cornstarch. Set aside.
5. In a medium saucepan, combine the berries, sugar, water and lemon juice mixture. Simmer, stirring often, until the sauce thickens slightly, about 2 minutes more. Let cool.
6. When finished baking, sprinkle the top of the French toast with sugar, then set the oven to broil. Broil the French toast until the sugar is melted and the bread is lightly browned. Serve immediately topped with mixed berry sauce.