Caramel Crunch Apple Crisp
- 6 medium apples (such as Cortland, Empire, Granny Smith, or Winesap), cored and thinly sliced (6 cups)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar or brown sugar substitute* equivalent to 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans or unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons sugar-free caramel ice cream topping
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl, toss together apples, granulated sugar, and cinnamon. Spoon evenly into a 2-quart square baking dish.
2. For topping: In a medium bowl, combine oats, flour, and brown sugar. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Stir in egg white and nuts until combined. Sprinkle topping over apples.
3. Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until topping is golden and apples are tender (if necessary, cover with foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning). Cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
4. In a small microwave-safe bowl, microwave caramel topping, uncovered, on 100 percent power (high) for 10 seconds. Drizzle over crisp before serving.