Red Enchilada Sauce
An amazing enchilada sauce that tastes so much better than canned. Bonus: you probably have almost every ingredient in the pantry right now!
- 2 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1/2 whole Canned Chipotle Chile In Adobo, Rinsed & Minced (use Whole Chile For Spicier Sauce)
- 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1/4 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 can (8oz) Tomato Sauce (I Like No Salt Added)
- 2 cups Water
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 23mins
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and chili powder. Cook 2-3 minutes, stirring often. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine. Bring sauce to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer about 10 minutes.
Makes about 3 1/4 cups of sauce.
**This is equivalent to about one large can of red enchilada sauce. It’s perfect for a 9×13″ pan of enchiladas.