Strawberry Buttermilk Cake
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup plus 1-1/2 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup well-shaken buttermilk*
- 1 cup fresh strawberries(about 5 ounces
1. Preheat oven to 400°F with rack in middle. Butter and flour a 9-inch round cake pan.
2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Beat butter and 2/3 cup sugar with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes, then beat in vanilla.
4. Add egg and beat well.
5. At low speed, mix in flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour, and mixing until just combined.
6. Spoon batter into cake pan, smoothing top. Scatter raspberries evenly over top and sprinkle with remaining 1-1/2 Tbsp sugar.
7. Bake until cake is golden and a wooden pick inserted into center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes. (25 minutes was perfect for me.)
8. Cool in pan 10 minutes, then turn out onto a rack and cool to warm, 10 to 15 minutes more. Invert onto a plate.
* Make your own buttermilk: If you don't have buttermilk, no worries! Just add 2 tsp of vinegar or lemon juice to 1/2 cup of milk. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes, and voila- buttermilk!