Devilish Sesame Chicken with Green Beans and Scallion Rice
- Devilish Sesame Chicken with Green Beans and Scallion Rice
- Serves 4
- Tags: dinner lunch rice, grains and breads poultry vegetables beans sauté boil simmer Submitted by
- Rachael Ray
- on 02/10/09
- Photo credit: Tina RuppHot sauce makes this recipe devilish and honey gives it a bit of sweetness. Why order takeout when you can make this Chinese-inspired dish at home?!
- AdvertisementIngredients•3 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1/2 pound green beans
- 1 pound chicken breast, chicken cutlets or chicken tenders, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons Tamari (dark soy sauce)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
PreparationIn a large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon oil, one turn of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the rice; toast, stirring, for a minute or two. Add 1 1/2 cups chicken stock, lower the heat, cover and simmer until tender, about 17 minutes.
In a medium size skillet, bring 1 inch of water to a boil, salt it, add the green beans and cook for 2 minutes; drain and rinse with cold water.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil, two turns of the pan, over high heat until rippling. Add the chicken and cook until golden, 3-4 minutes. Add the red bell pepper and cook until just softened, 3 minutes. Add the green beans and cook, tossing, for 1 minute.
In a bowl, mix together the Tamari, honey, hot sauce, mustard and remaining 1/2 cup chicken stock. Pour the sauce over the chicken and vegetables; toss. Drizzle the sesame oil over the chicken.
Stir the scallions into the rice and fluff with a fork. Serve the chicken over the rice and top with the sesame seeds. Cover to keep warm.