Grand Marnier Brownies
Mary P Murphy from Hampton, New Hampshire was the first place winner in the Topsfield Fair Baking Competition.
- 2 squares (1oz ea) unsweetened chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Grand Marnier liqueur or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 1/4 cup chocolate-flavored syrup
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa
- 2 tsp grated orange peel
- 1 tsp orange juice
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 pkg (12oz) semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 2 Tbsp shortening
- Orange peel strips, for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 deg. Grease 13x9" pan. Melt unsweetened chocolate in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling, water. Remove from heat and mix in sugar, oil, liqueur, syrup, eggs, cocoa, orange peel and juice. Stir in flour, baking powder and 1-1/3 cups of the chocolate chips. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan. Bake 22 minutes; do not overbake.
As soon as brownies are removed from oven, melt remaining 2/3 cup chocolate chips and shortening in top of double boiler over hot, not boiling water; stir until smooth. Spread hot chocolate mixture over warm brownies. Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into 2" squares. Garnish with orange peel strips if desired.