French Onion and Apple Soup
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 15 cups sliced yellow onion, about 4 lbs.
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 Honeycrisp or Pink Lady apple, peeled, quartered, and cut into julienne strips
- 3 thyme sprigs
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 Madeira wine or dry sherry
- 6 cups lower sodium beef broth
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1 Tbsp sherry vinegar
- 10 1/2 oz. slices sourdough bread, cut into 1" cubes
- 2 cups , 8oz., grated Gruyere or swiss cheese
- Thyme leaves, optional
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 25mins
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion to pan; cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Continue cooking 50 minutes or until deep golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add pepper, apple, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves; cook 3 minutes or till apples soften. Add wine; cook 2 minutes, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Add broth and cider; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes. Discard bay leaves, stir in vinegar.
Arrange bread cubes in a single layer on a jelly roll pan; broil 2 minutes or until toasted, turning after one minute.
Preheat oven to 500.
Ladle 1 cup of soup into 10 ovenproof soup bowls. Devide the croutons evenly among the bowls, and top each serving with about 3 Tbsp cheese. Place bowls on a jelly roll pan. Bake at 500 for 8 minutes or till cheese melts. Garnish with thyme leaves, if desired.