BERRY RICOTTA MUFFINS
- 1 cup (250 ml) whole wheat flour
- 1 cup (250 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) oatmeal
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) wheat or oat bran
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ground flax seeds (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder (i added a little more)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) soft butter (i used vegetable oil)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) brown sugar (added 2 tbsp more)
- 2 eggs (i used 1 egg and 2 egg whites)
- 1 cup (250 ml) Canadian Ricotta
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk (too dry, added an extra 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup (250 ml) frozen berries (i used 2 cups berries)
Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
Grease and flour muffin moulds or line with paper cups.
In a large mixing bowl, mix dry ingredients and create a well in the middle.
In a separate bowl, mix brown sugar and soft butter.
Add eggs one by one, mixing thoroughly after each.
Add Ricotta and milk, and mix.
Pour liquid mix gradually into dry preparation, mixing with a fork to ensure a homogenous texture. Add fruit and mix again.
Spread dough into muffin moulds and bake in oven centre 15 to 20 minutes or until golden and a toothpick comes out of muffin clean.
Meanwhile, prepare muffin spread. Serve warm or at room temperature, topped with spread and sprinkled with cinnamon (optional) and accompanied with fresh fruit.
Honey & Ricotta spread
1 cup (250 ml) Canadian Ricotta 2 tbsp (30 ml) honey
Cinnamon to taste (optional)
CHEESE VARIATIONS: try Mascarpone, Cream Cheese or Baker's Cheese.