Pie - Peach Blackberry
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus more for rolling
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons (1 1/4 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes - cold
- 1/2 cup chilled solid vegetable shortening, cut into pieces - cold
- 4 to 7 tablespoons ice water or more
- 1 pint fresh blackberries
- 2 tbsp blackberry liqueur
- 5 cups (about 8) mixed yellow and white peaches, peeled, pitted, sliced about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fresh nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons peach brandy
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or tapioca
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 to 3 tablespoons turbinado sugar (Sugar in the Raw)
To make the crust:
Combine the flour, sugar, salt in the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
Scatter the butter and shortening over the top of the flour mixture and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
Add the water a few tablespoons at a time and pulse until the dough just comes together.
Remove the dough from the machine and lightly knead on a flat surface until it just comes together. Form into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
For the filling:
Toss the blackberries with the liqueur. Let sit for 5 minutes
Combine peaches, sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, peach brandy and cornstarch or tapioca in a large bowl and mix until well combined. Let sit for 10 minutes, then use a slotted spoon to spoon the berries into the peaches, and toss right before filling.
Divide the dough in half and roll each half out on a lightly floured surface to 13 to 14- inch round. Transfer 1 of the rounds into the bottom of a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate. Spoon the fruit into the crust using a slotted spoon. Add some of the juices that have accumulated in the bowl. Scatter the butter over the top.
Roll up remaining dough on rolling pin and unroll atop peach mixture. Trim edges of both crusts to 3/4-inch overhang. Fold edges over; press to seal. Crimp edges. Cut 6 slits in top crust to allow steam to escape. Brush top of the pie with the cream and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.
Place the pie on a baking sheet and bake on the bottom rack of the oven until the crust is golden and juices bubble thickly through slits, covering edges of crust with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour 10 to 20 minutes, until the bottom crust is brown and the juices bubbling.
Cool pie 3 hours.
You'll also love
- Penne with Artichokes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Arugula with Berries and Feta 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Soup - Spinach soup with Couscous... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Halibut Steaks with Citrus,... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cranberry Salad 0/5 (0 Votes)
- FROZEN LEMON MOUSSE WITH BLUEBERRY... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Peach pancakes & Chai Syrup 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Peach Cobbler 0/5 (0 Votes)