Triple Chocolate Nutella Cupcakes
- 1 chocolate cake mix( plus ingredients listed on box)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 box chocolate instant pudding (leave in powder form)
- 1/4 cup Nutella
- 2 tablespoons of hazelnut creamer or milk (may need more for thinning)
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 3/4 – 1 cup Nutella
- 3-4 Tablespoons liquid hazelnut creamer (can substitute milk or heavy cream)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Adapted from southernbluecelebrationsblogspot.com
Add ingredients according to cake mix directions. Before you begin mixing, add your sour cream, pudding, Nutella, and creamer. If your mix is too thick, add your creamer/milk 1 tablespoon at a time. I usually add 4 tablespoons to get the right consistency.
Mix and bake according to directions on cake mix box.
With electric mixer, beat softened (NOT MELTED) butter until creamy. Add powdered sugar and continue beating your butter until sugar is incorporated. Add the Nutella, creamer, vanilla, and pinch of salt. Continue to beat until the frosting is thick and creamy. (Add more creamer if too thick or more powdered sugar if too thin)
Let me note again: DO NOT MELT THE BUTTER! This frosting will not work if you do.
NOTE: If the butter starts to melt too much and the frosting starts to separate before you get your cupcakes frosted, simply put it back in the refrigerator and let it re-harden and then beat it again with your electric mixer. I have had to do this before and the frosting always whips back up.
Cupcakes will need to be refrigerated.