Huckleberry or Blueberry Crisp
- For the crisp topping:
- 1/2cup1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted and cooled
- 1 1/2cups1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2cups2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1cup1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4cup1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2teaspoons1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 2sticks2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter
- For the huckleberry filling:
- 12cups12 cups fresh huckleberries or blueberries
- 4tablespoons4 tablespoons (2 ounces) unsalted butter, melted
- 1cup1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2cup1/2 cup port
- For the whipped cream:
- 2cups2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2cup1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- Seeds from 1 vanilla bean
- Vanilla ice cream (optional, in place of whipped cream)
Adapted from leitesculinaria.com
Make the huckleberry crisp topping
1. Combine the almonds, oats, flour, both sugars, cinnamon, and nutmeg in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Stir to incorporate.
2. Cube the butter and slowly beat it in. Mix for 5 minutes on medium speed. The mixture should hold together when gathered in your hand. Refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
3. Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
Make the huckleberry crisp filling
4. Toss together the huckleberries or blueberries, butter, sugar, and port in a large bowl, and then divide among 8 (or more) 6-ounce ramekins or 1 large baking dish. Place the ramekins or baking dish on the foil-lined baking sheet. Crumble the crisp topping evenly over the filling and bake for 25 to 40 minutes, or until the filling is bubbling over the crisp topping.
Make the whipped cream
5. Combine the cream, sugar, and vanilla bean seeds in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until soft peaks form, about 4 minutes.
6. Scoop the warm huckleberry crisp onto plates or, as it tends to be rather runny, into dishes and serve with the whipped cream (or ice cream, if you prefer).
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (888 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (892 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (288 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (210 Votes)
- Raspberry Beignets with Vanilla... 4.6/5 (187 Votes)