Peach Cake with Orange Glaze & Almond Icing
A rich moist cake full of peachy goodness, drizzled with an orange Grand Marnier glaze, and topped with an almond icing. Amazing combination of flavors.
- For the cake:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound fresh peaches, diced (with or without skins)
- For the glaze:
- 1 cup orange or pineapple juice
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 ounces Grand Mariner
- For the icing:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
Preparation time 35mins
Cooking time 180mins
Adapted from jamesandeverett.com
Cake: Heat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a 10 inch bundt or angel food cake pan.
In a medium bowl, sift together 2 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the sour cream, vanilla, and almond. Mix until smooth.
Scrape the bowl, then slowly add the flour mixture about a third at a time to the wet mixture scraping the bowl as you go.
Toss the peaches with the remaining ¼ cup of flour and the cinnamon. Scoop a third of the batter into the pan (batter will be thick), then sprinkle a third of the peaches on top. Repeat two more times with the remaining batter and peaches.
Place in the oven and reduce the temperature to 325°F. Bake for 60-80 minutes, or until a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
Allow the cake to cool at least 20 minutes in the pan, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely before glazing.
Glaze: Combine the orange juice and sugar in a small sauce pan, bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 7 – 10 minutes or until reduced by one-half and syrup like. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Add the Grand Marnier, and spoon the warm glaze over the cake allowing it to run down the sides and soak in.
Icing: Whisk together the powdered sugar, almond extract, and heavy cream. Drizzle the icing over the top of the cake using a spoon, or pipe on using a plastic bag with the corner cut off. Top with slivered almonds while the icing is still wet.
You'll also love
- Sweet Relish with Cucumbers and... 3.9/5 (37 Votes)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies 4.2/5 (18 Votes)
- Brown Sugar Applesauce Cookies 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Cinnamon Swirl Banana Bread 4.2/5 (20 Votes)
- Lemon-y Baked Ricotta 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Jicama with Berries and Lime 4.3/5 (9 Votes)
- Orange Poppy Seed Cookies 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Alouette Almond Zucchini Stuffed... 4.3/5 (9 Votes)