Cardamom Yogurt Mousse
- 1/4cup1/4 cup cold water
- 2teaspoons2 teaspoons powdered gelatin
- 1/3cup1/3 cup honey
- 2large2 large egg whites
- 3/4cup3/4 cup heavy cream, cold
- 1 1/2cups1 1/2 cups plain Greek or strained yogurt (low-fat or full-fat)
- 1/2teaspoon1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- PinchPinch salt
- Sliced apricots or other seasonal fruit (optional)
Adapted from leitesculinaria.com
1. Pour the water into a small saucepan and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow the gelatin to soften.
2. When the gelatin has softened, place the pan over medium heat and whisk until the gelatin dissolves. Whisk in the honey and continue warming until the honey has thinned and seems completely incorporated. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool almost to room temperature.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a large bowl, using a hand mixer), whip the egg whites until stiff. Gently scrape the whites into a separate bowl.
4. Wipe out the mixer bowl, add the cream, and beat until stiff peaks form. Add the yogurt to the whipped cream and beat just until combined. Beat in the cardamom and salt, then slowly pour in the cooled honey and gelatin mixture and beat until combined. Use a spatula to gently fold in the whipped egg whites.
5. Scoop the mousse into 6 separate cups or ramekins. Alternatively, you could spoon the mousse into a 1-quart serving dish. Refrigerate for 1 to 2 hours, until softly set.
6. Serve the mousse chilled, with fruit, if desired.