Cheesy Broccoli & Rice Casserole
This cheesy broccoli & rice casserole is the perfect side dish to compliment almost any dinner, or makes a great light supper with a side salad and some good bread.
- 2 slices bread, torn into chunks
- 1 onion, minced
- 3/4 cup Parmigiano, grated
- 1 1/4 cups long grain white rice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 stock stock, vegetable or chicken
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled
- 1 1/4 cup half-and-half
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large bunch broccoli, cut into florets, stems trimmed and chopped
- 2 cups sharp cheddar, grated
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 35mins
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
Add the bread, 1/4 cup of Parmigiano, garlic and the melted butter to a food processor. Pulse until coarsely ground. Set aside.
Steam florets until bright green and tender, about 2-4 minutes (this can be done in a microwave). In a Dutch oven, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, add onions and broccoli stems and cook until soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring often until rice is translucent, about 1 minute.
Stir in broth, half-and-half and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and cook, stirring often, until rice is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove heat and stir in cheddar, cayenne, remaining Parmigiano and florets. Grease a 13 by 9-inch baking dish and pour in mixture, top with bread-crumb mixture and bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes and serve.
You'll also love
- Basic Egg Pasta Dough 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Seared Mahi-Mahi with Mango Sauce... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Stuffed Small Red Potatoes 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Ham & Tater Corn Chowder 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Cajun Slow Cooked Whole Chicken 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Asian Broccoli Slaw (with... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)
- Thai Garlic Sauce 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Pasta with Lemon Cream Sauce,... 4.8/5 (4 Votes)