Joe's Stone Crab Amazing Apple Crumb Pie
- one 9 1/2- or 10-inch pie shell
- 8 red apples
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 cup sugar, or more to taste depending on sweetness of apples
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp flour
- 1 stick +1 1/2 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup pecans, broken up coarsely
For the filling:
Peel, quarter, and core the apples. And slice them into a large mixing bowl, tossing them with the lemon juice to prevent darkening. In a small bowl, stir together the sugar flour, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and salt. Sprinkle this mixture over the apples and toss to coat.
For the topping:
In a food processor, or using two knives or your fingers, cut together the flour and butter, leaving the butter in pieces about the size of a nickel. Mix in the brown sugar, then the pecans. Refrigerate the mixture.
Scatter the apple mixture into the crust, mounding it in the center. Place in the oven; place a sheet of aluminum foil on the rack below to catch any drips. Bake for 25 minutes.
Raise the oven heat to 400°F. Scatter the topping over the apples, covering them completely and pressing gently to adhere. Bake until the topping is nicely browned, 25 to 30 minutes longer. Cool the pie on a wire rack; serve at room temperature or lukewarm.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (805 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Famous Red Lobster Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (466 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (287 Votes)
- Frozen Banana Bites 4.5/5 (272 Votes)
- Creamy Shrimp & Mushroom Pasta 4.5/5 (260 Votes)
- Easy & Healthy Shrimp Scampi 4.5/5 (194 Votes)