Butternut Squash Soup Recipe - Slow Cooker
A healthy, soothing, warm, rich and tasty Butternut Squash Soup that is perfect for the colder months of the year, fall through winter. Serve with a dollop of sour cream if desired. Enjoy!
- 1 medium (about 3 pounds) butternut squash
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh sage
- 2 tablespoons small sage leaves
- 1/4 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Kosher salt
- 1 large onion, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 stalk celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Sour cream, for serving
Adapted from yahoo.com
Peel the squash. Cut 1/2 inch off the bottom and top and discard. Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds and reserve in a small bowl. Cut the squash into 2-inch pieces. Using kitchen twine, tie the thyme and sage sprigs together.
In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the cayenne, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 5 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Add the squash, herbs, onion, carrots, and celery and mix to combine. Cook, covered, until the vegetables are very tender, 6 to 7 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
Meanwhile, rinse the squash seeds, removing any pulp. Place them on a paper towel and let dry until ready to use.
Ten minutes before serving, heat the oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the seeds and cook, tossing, for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with the paprika and a pinch cinnamon. Add the sage leaves to the skillet and cook, tossing, until the seeds are toasted, about 2 minutes.
Remove the herbs from the soup. Using a handheld immersion blender (or a standard blender in batches), purée the soup. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the spiced seeds and sage.
Dollop with sour cream, if desired. Enjoy!
You'll also love
- Lemon Ice Box Pie 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Double crumb apple pie 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- 5 Minute Mason Jar Microwave Berry... 4.4/5 (15 Votes)
- Stuffed Zucchini 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- pasta - Garlic and Lemon Cream... 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Herb-Roasted Turkey 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Mini King Cakes 4.4/5 (14 Votes)
- Canning Butter in a Pressure Cooker 4.5/5 (2 Votes)