Caramel Apple Trifle
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 6 cups cold milk
- 3 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1 (12 ounce) jar caramel ice cream topping
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, toasted
- 2 (21 ounce) cans apple pie filling
- 2 (16 ounce) containers frozen whipped topping, thawed
Adapted from pinterest.com
Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cool for 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. In a large bowl, whisk milk, pudding mixes and apple pie spice for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set.
Cut one cake layer if necessary to fit evenly in an 8-qt. punch bowl. Poke holes in cake with a long wooden skewer; gradually pour a third of the caramel topping over cake. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup pecans and spread with half of the pudding mixture. Spoon one can of pie filling over pudding; spread with one carton of whipped topping.
Top with remaining cake and repeat layers. Drizzle with remaining caramel topping and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Refrigerate until serving.