Hawaiian Burger with Hawaiian-Style Slaw
Using a combination of ground beef and pork, these patties turn out juicy and tender. The patties are seasoned with allspice, ginger with green onions and cilantro. Slather on some Hawaiian barbecue sauce, and set on top of a grilled pineapple slice, you have one delicious gourmet burger. Add some mayonnaise-free Hawaii slaw on top, and you have extra crunch and flavor-- reminiscent of the Hawaiian islands!
- 8 hamburger buns
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- Salt & pepper, about 1/2 teaspoon each or to taste
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, sliced
- 1 cup barbecue sauce (recommended: Target/Archer Farms Sweet Pineapple Hawaiian-Style sauce)
- 3 cups green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cups purple cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cups carrots, shredded
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar)
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard (or Dijon will work)
- 1/2 cup olive oil (add more, as needed)
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Adapted from foodiewife-kitchen.blogspot.com
In a bowl, whisk the vinegar and mustard until combined.
Slowly whisk the olive oil.
Add the poppyseed and garlic.
Season with salt & pepper, to taste.
Add to the sliced vegetables and combine.
Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.