The Best Tuna Salad
- 3 5oz cans solid white albacore cans of tuna (can also be made with 2 cans)
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp mayo
1. Marinate Tuna. Place tuna in fine mesh strainer and press dry with paper towels. Transfer to medium bowl and mash with fork until finely flaked. Microwave onion and oil in small bowl until onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Combine onion mixture, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper and sugar with tuna and let sit 10 minutes.
2. Finish Salad. Stir mayonaise into tuna mixture. Season with salt and pper.
* Add 2 hard cooked eggs into salad in step 2.
* Add 1/4 cup finely chopped, jarred roasted red peppers, patted dry and 2 tbsp drained and minced capers to tuna with cooked onion mixture in step 1.