Apple Banana Bread with Almond Butter Drizzle
- 1 cup spelt flour, organic (mine was sprouted grain spelt)
- 1 cup rolled oats, processed until fine
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- dash of cayenne or nutmeg (optional added spices)
- liquid blend - in my Vitamix:
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 very ripe bananas, peeled
- 1/2 cup honeycrisp apple, chopped
- 1/4 cup raw turbino cane sugar, organic
- (note: the bananas and apples will vary in sweetness, if you are worried about your bread being too sweet you can reduce the sugar even further)
- 4 tsp chia seeds (chia is my egg replacer in this recipe)
- 1 cup almond milk (or any non-dairy substitute)
- Fold in:
- 1/2 banana, sliced
- 1/2 cup honeycrisp apple, diced (add a few pinches more for extra-apple-y bread)
- 1/4 cup melted organic coconut oil
- 2 heaping tablespoons Earth Balance, vegan butter
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp rolled oats, 1 tsp sugar
- Almond Butter Drizzle:
- 2 Tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp almond butter
- 2-3 tsp maple syrup
Adapted from kblog.lunchboxbunch.com
1. Preheat oven to 415 degrees. Yes, THAT hot. Also - add a few serving plates to your freezer. So they are fully chilled when serving. (You will see why and end.)
2. Grease your bread pan with coconut oil.
3. Chop your apple.
4. Add your whole rolled oats to Vitamix (or food processor). Process until mediun to fine in texture. You are essentially making oat flour.
5. Add oat flour and all other dry ingredients to large mixing bowl. Toss well.
6. Add all liquid blend ingredients to blender or fp. Process on low until smooth. Process for a good 2 minutes to fully blend apples and assist in plumping and "activating" the chia seeds for a thick texture liquid.
7. Fold liquid into the dry and then add fold in ingredients. Add the vinegar as the very last ingredient.
8. Pour batter into pan and top with oats and sprinkle of sugar.
9. Bake at 410 for 10 minutes. Then reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for an additional 35 minutes. About 45-50 minutes total baking time.
10. Cool bread a bit before removing from pan. Make almond butter while cooling.
11. Quickly stir together almond butter + coconut oil + maple until smooth. Warm almond butter if needed to soften before mixing. Set aside at room temp until ready to drizzle over top bread.
12. Serving: Pull chilled plates from freezer. Add a warm, moist slice of banana bread to a chilled plate and drizzle the almond butter mix over top - let it hit the plate. You will notice that when the coconut oil-based almond drizzle hits the plate, it firms up a bit to a lovely frosting-ish texture. But the drizzle on the warm bread stays soft and warm. Serve and enjoy!
You'll also love
- Sausage Lasagna Wraps 4.6/5 (17 Votes)
- Betty's Pineapple Slaw W. W.... 4.7/5 (16 Votes)
- Orange Glazed Cornish Hens 4.7/5 (16 Votes)
- Apple Whiskey Chicken Meatballs 4.6/5 (29 Votes)
- Banana Pudding Cheesecake 4.5/5 (31 Votes)
- Chocolate-Covered Almond Butter... 4.6/5 (19 Votes)
- Almond Butter Chicken Satay 4.7/5 (9 Votes)