Scones, reduced fat
Servings: 12 scones
I usually 1/2 this recipe when cooking just for myself. I like this recipie because of the reduced fat (no butter).
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking power
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup lemonade (lemon flavoured) soda pop still fizzy.
- 1/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 cup of chocolate semi-sweet bits
- various flavored soda pop
- dried fruit (like craisins -cranberries, cherries, raisins)
- chopped nuts like pecans or walnuts
Pre-heat oven to 450 F degrees. Mix dry ingredients - flour, baking powder, sugar, dried fruit or chocolate bits to get distributed in mixture. Add heavy cream and soda pop and mix to moisten mixture. Turn out on a floured surface, knead lightly and shape and pat down dough to about 1 inch thick (+-). (Do not use roll pin). Cut into rounds - I use the 1 cup measuring cup as the cutter. Place on baking sheet, ungreased, use parchment paper. Brush tops with milk, cream or egg wash to brown. Place in oven and cook 15 minutes or until tops are golden brown.