Almond Maraschino Cherry Cupcakes
- Almond Cherry Cupcakes:
- 1 box white cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 C. oil
- 3/4 C. milk or buttermilk
- 1/2 C. sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 C. Maraschino cherries, roughly chopped
- Almond Buttercream:
- 1 C. butter, softened
- 1 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 3-4 C. powdered sugar
- milk, if needed
- 20-24 Maraschino cherries with stems for decoration
Adapted from yourcupofcake.com
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line pan with cupcakes liners.
2. Sift cake mix into a small bowl to remove any lumps and set aside.
3. In a large bowl combine eggs, oil, milk, sour cream and almond extract until smooth.
4. Stir in cake mix.
5. Fold in chopped maraschino cherries.
6. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 17-22 minutes.
7. Almond Buttercream: Beat butter for 2 minutes. Add almond extract and slowly add in powdered sugar until you reach your desired consistency. If it becomes too thick, add a little milk.
8. Pipe frosting onto cooled cupcakes and top with sprinkles and more Maraschino cherries.