Healthy Green Bean Casserole
A healthy real-food take on the classic… without the cream of mystery ingredients soup! haven't tried this yet
- ONION TOPPING:
- 2 to 3 medium onions, very thinly sliced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons of heavy cream or coconut milk
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 1/2 cup coconut oil or tallow for frying (I use tallow)
- CREAM OF MUSHROOM SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup cream or coconut milk
- 1/3 of onion mix above
- 8 to 10 mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4-5 egg yolks
- coconut milk or water to thin
- 5 cans of cut or french style green beans
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 25mins
Thinly slice all the onions, separate, and put in medium bowl.
Add the two eggs and the heavy cream and mix well until evenly incorporated. Add coconut flour and mix by hand until evenly coated (note: may use slightly more or less depending on your brand of coconut flour.)
Put tallow in a large skillet and turn on medium-high heat. When hot, add the coated onions and evenly brown, turning occasionally. When browned, remove from heat and set aside.
In a medium saucepan, melt butter and saute mushrooms until starting to brown, then add cream or coconut milk. Whisk in egg yolks and spices and about ⅓ of the onion topping mixture and continue stirring until the yolks begin to cook and the mixture thickens. Add extra milk or water if needed to thin (only a few tablespoons might be needed).
Drain green beans and pour into a 9×13 baking dish.
Pour the cream mixture over and mix well until incorporated.
Top with onion mixture and heat at 325 ˚F in an oven until topping starts to crisp (but not burn!) and green beans are heated.
You'll also love
- Curried Carrot & Apple Soup 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Roasted Butternut Squash 4.5/5 (28 Votes)
- Pan Roasted Maple Dijon Chicken... 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- Make Your Own English Muffins 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- Pumpkin Fluff Dip 4.4/5 (37 Votes)
- Creamy Homemade Rice Pudding,... 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Simple Grilled Turkey with Crispy... 4.4/5 (29 Votes)
- Sharp Cheddar Chili Cheese Crackers 4.5/5 (23 Votes)