Glazed Apple Pie Bars Recipe
This is the only one of the many wonderful recipes that my mother handed down to me. These delicious bars, with their flaky crust and scrumptious fruit filling, are the perfect way to serve apple pie to a crowd. -Janet English, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
1 serving (1 each) equals 267 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 36 mg cholesterol, 117 mg sodium, 44 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 8 to 10 tablespoons cold water
- 7 cups peeled apples, finely chopped
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground Tone's® Ground Cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from tasteofhome.com
In a large bowl, combine flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
In a small bowl, whisk the egg yolks, lemon juice and water; gradually add to flour mixture, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide in half. Chill for 30 minutes.
Roll out one portion of dough between two large sheets of waxed paper into a 17-inch x 12-inch rectangle. Transfer to an ungreased 15 x 10 x 1-inch baking pan. Press pastry onto the bottom and up the sides of pan; trim pastry even with top edge.
In a large bowl, toss the apples, sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg; spread over crust. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pan; place over filling. Trim edges; brush edges between pastry with water or milk; pinch to seal. Cut slits in top.
Bake at 375°F for 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over bars before cutting.
You'll also love
- Mashed Potato Muffins 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Apple Crisp Cheesecake 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Curd - Fruit (peach) 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Jello Pineapple Slices 4.4/5 (30 Votes)
- Blueberry Danish Puff 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Caramel Apple & Pear Crisp 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Brown Butter Toffee & Macadamia... 4.5/5 (27 Votes)
- Chocolate-Hazelnut Drop Cookies 4.5/5 (27 Votes)