- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup margarine or butter (note: do not use diet margarine)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup margarine or butter
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons buttermilk or sour milk
- 2-1/4 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
1. In a large mixing bowl stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt. Set flour mixture aside. In a saucepan combine 1 cup margarine or butter, water, and 1/3 cup cocoa powder. Bring just to boiling, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Add chocolate mixture to flour mixture.
2. Beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until thoroughly combined. Add the eggs, 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk, and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla.
3. Beat for 1 minute more (batter with be thin). Pour batter into a greased 15x10x1-inch baking pan. Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
4. Meanwhile, for frosting, in a saucepan combine the 1/4 cup margarine or butter, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, and 3 tablespoons buttermilk or sour milk. Bring to boiling. Remove from heat. Add the powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. Beat until smooth. If desired, stir in pecans.
5. Pour warm frosting over warm brownies, spreading evenly. Cook in pan on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 36.
Note: To make 1 cup of sour milk, combine 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1 cup. Let stand 5 minutes before using.