Bruschetta with Tomato-Basil Topping
- 1 cup chopped, pealed roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cup snipped fresh basil
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1 (16 oz) loaf baguette-style French bread (20-24 inches long) sliced 3/4" thick
- 1/2 cup freshly stredded Parmesan or Romano cheese
1. For topping; in a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, basil, olive oil, the 2 tsp. of minced garlic, the 1/4 tsp. salt, and the 1/4 tap. black pepper. Set aside.
2. For garlic butter; in a small bowl, combine softened butter, the 1 tsp. garlic, the 1/8 tsp. salt, and the 1/8 tsp. black pepper.
3. Evenly spread garlic butter on one side of bread slices. For charcoal grill, grill bread slices, buttered side down, on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium-low to low coals for 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Turn over and spoon the topping onto each bread slice. Sprinkle with cheese. Grill, covered, 3-4 minutes more or just until heated through and bottoms are toasted. Watch bread closely so it does not char.
4. Remove from grill. Serve immediately.