Oven Fried Chicken
Here's a 21st-century take on a '60s TV dinner staple.
- 1 1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, 6 oz. each
- 2 1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3 Tbsp canola oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 105mins
1. Whisk together the buttermilk, mustard, paprika, garlic and onion powders, salt, and cayenne in a large baking dish. Add the chicken breasts; turn to coat. Cover; refrigerate for 1 hour and up to 4 hours.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position.
3. Pulse 1 1/4 cups of bread crumbs in a blender until fine. Pour them into a shallow bowl, add remaining ingredients, and mix well.
4. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a baking rack on top. Liberally spray the rack with nonstick baking spray.
5. Working one breast at a time, remove chicken from the marinade and dredge in the crumb mixture. Place on rack. Bake until deep golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the breast registers 160°F, about 25 minutes.
Serves 4. Per serving: 310 calories, 9g carbs, 38g protein, 110mg cholesterol, 13g fat, 400mg sodium, and no fiber.